CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Sunday, April 18, 2010

Brown Sugar-Baked Acorn Squash

My mom made us eat our veggies growing up, but they mostly consisted of potatoes, corn, carrots, salad... you know, the kid-friendly foods that moms repeatedly use to get their kids to get their nutrients.  Nope, Mom never made squash for us, in fact if you had asked me what that was, I would probably have confused it with cauliflower or some other unfamiliar veggie.



Well, you see, at college, my good friend, McKenzie, and I, occasionally cook dinners together.  She introduced me to this seemingly bland and boring vegetable.. which I quickly changed my disposition of it to be a delicious, sweet, nutrient-powerhouse!

There are several kinds of squash; so far, I have tried acorn, butternut, and yellow squash.  Although all are delicious, my favorite is definitely acorn!

Here is a no-fail, delicious recipe that will completely change your mind about squash.....  I made this for my family and all of my younger siblings wanted seconds.  Yes, it is that good.  And super simple, and healthy!  Plus squash is loaded with nutritents and fairly low in calorie.


Brown Sugar-Baked Acorn Squash


whole acorn squashes (number depends on how many servings you want- 1 squash can usually feed two people)
brown sugar
cinnamon
butter (if desired)
maple Syrup (if desired)

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.  With a fork, poke several holes in each squash.  Place in the microwave for 1-2 minutes to soften the thick core.  Then, with a large butcher knife, slice each squash in half and remove the seeds with a spoon.  Prepare a baking dish with about a 1/2- 1 inch of water in the bottom.  Place the squash halves in the dish, cut side down, and bake for 30 minutes.  Remove dish and pour out the water.  Add brown sugar and cinnamon into the center of each half (if you want, butter the insides before adding sugar) and bake, center side up, for 20 more minutes.  Remove, cool, add syrup and/or more brown sugar if desired, then enjoy with a spoon! 




0 nibbles:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...