I personally think that the coloring of a food or recipe is really important to its appeal. And, personally, this salad hits the mark, wouldn't ya say?
I've never made a "greek" recipe before, and to be honest the thought kind of intimidated me. Kind of. Not the THOUGHT of greek food; because that I love- pitas, hummus, olives, tomatoes... all are very delicious. I've also never cooked barley, but the barley in this recipe is the shining star! It's cooked in chicken broth so it has a warm, but mild flavor, and when combined with all of the other ingredients, its nothing short of fabulous!
This recipe was a Family Dinner Grand Prize Winner this year on www.myrecipes.com! Woo!
Greek Chicken and Barley Salad
- 2 (6-ounce) skinless, boneless chicken breast halves
- 1/8 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 4 cups fat-free, less-sodium chicken broth, divided
- 1 cup uncooked pearl barley
- 2 cups cubed seeded cucumber
- 1 cup grape tomatoes, halved
- 1/2 cup cubed yellow bell pepper
- 1/3 cup reduced-fat feta cheese
- 1/4 cup chopped pitted kalamata olives
- 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 teaspoon grated lemon rind
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh basil
- 1 teaspoon minced fresh thyme
- 1 teaspoon red wine vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
1. To prepare salad, sprinkle chicken with 1/8 teaspoon salt. Heat 1 teaspoon oil in a nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add chicken; cook 2 minutes on each side or until browned. Add 1 cup broth; cover, reduce heat, and simmer 10 minutes or until done. Cool; shred chicken. Discard broth.
2. Bring 3 cups broth to a boil in a large saucepan; add barley. Cover, reduce heat, and simmer 35 minutes or until liquid is absorbed. Fluff with a fork. Cool. Combine chicken, barley, cucumber, and next 4 ingredients (through olives) in a large bowl.
3. To prepare dressing, combine 3 tablespoons oil, rind, and remaining ingredients; stir well. Add to barley mixture; toss well. Cover and chill.
Makes 8 servings (serving size= 1 cup)
Nutrition: 230 calories, 9.8g fat, 18g protein, 18.3g carbohydrate, 3.2g fiber, 38 mg cholesterol