I will tell you right now that my husband just thought this was "okay." He still ate it, of course (he's good enough to at least eat whatever I put in front of him) but it wasn't his favorite dish ever... probably because he is used to eating Olive Garden-style fettuccine alfredo. And this recipe, my friend is lighter and healthier than Olive Garden-style fettuccine alfredo.
BUT, in my own opinion, I think it is no less delicious, just different. But in a good way! When you can appreciate the fact that you are eating a guilt-free version of one of the guiltiest dishes on this earth- that is a LOT to love! Add in the fact that the taste really is fantastic (I recommend you don't compare it to another-style of fettuccine alfredo and just take it as it is) and you have a new favorite weeknight meal!
Lighter Alfredo Spaghetti with Roasted Asparagus
from Cooking Light
- 2 cups 1% low-fat milk
- 1/3 cup (3 ounces) 1/3-less-fat cream cheese
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon butter
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 cup (4 ounces) grated Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese (or parmesan)
- 1 pound asparagus, trimmed and cut into 2-inch pieces (about 2 cups)
- Cooking spray
- 8 ounces uncooked whole wheat spaghetti
- 8 ounces uncooked spaghetti (or you can use 16 oz. either regular or whole-wheat spaghetti)
- 2 tablespoons truffle oil or olive oil
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- Preheat oven to 425°.
- Combine first four ingredients in a blender; process until smooth.
- Melt butter in a saucepan over medium-high heat. Add garlic; sauté 30 seconds. Add milk mixture to pan; cook 3 minutes or until mixture simmers, stirring constantly. Cook 2 minutes or until thickened, stirring constantly. Remove from heat; stir in cheese. Cover.
- Place asparagus on jelly-roll pan coated with cooking spray. Bake at 425° 10 minutes or until browned, stirring once.
- Cook both pastas according to package directions, omitting salt and fat; drain well.
- Place pastas and asparagus in a large bowl. Add cheese mixture, tossing well. Add truffle oil and pepper; toss gently. Serve immediately.
Nutritional Information: (per serving) 296 calories, 11.4g fat (5.2g saturated), 14.5g protein, 34.9g carbohydrate, 3.7g fiber