I'm pretty sure it was just a phase. Like I predicted.
You see, I made and ate homemade pepperoni pizza for dinner tonight (recipe coming soon)... the same pepperonis that I tried a few days ago and had to spit out. Still, I'm only PRETTY sure. I still am very interested in the "Meat-less May" and am definitely going to be cooking a lot more meatless meals. At LEAST one or two a week.
Until I figure it out though, I can always just live off of yummy breakfast foods, like these FABULOUS strawberry cream cheese waffles that I made for my hubby and I for Easter breakfast. They were honestly some of the best, if not the best waffles I have ever had. You must try them!
I'll admit I forgot to serve these with the whipped cream/cool whip that the recipe calls for! My husband mentioned "these would be good with cool whip" and I then felt like a complete idiot! Good thing we made seconds and were able to smother it with Lite Cool Whip... SO good! Tasted like Strawberry Shortcake in waffle form. And P.S. the strawberry sauce is a must if you're going to make this recipe!
Strawberry Cream Cheese Waffles
from Real Mom Kitchen
- 2 ½ c all purpose flour
- 1 tsp salt
- 4 tsp baking powder
- 3 Tbsp sugar
- 2 eggs
- 2 ½ cups whole milk
- ½ cup canola oil
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 4 oz cream cheese, NOT softened
- 1 c chopped strawberries
- In a large bowl, whisk together the flour, salt, baking powder, and sugar.
- In another bowl, whisk together the eggs, milk, vegetable oil, and vanilla.
- Cut the cream cheese into slices and then cut each slice into little cubes of cream cheese. Keep them all separated on a plate. Set aside.
- Stir the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients until just combined. Let the batter rest for 2 minutes and then fold in the strawberries. Do not over beat.
- Pour the batter into a preheated waffle iron. The amount of batter will depend on the size of your waffle iron. I used my regular Belgian waffle iron. Then drop a few cubes of the cream cheese into each waffle. I put about 5-6 per waffle. Bake until lightly browned.
- Serve with strawberry sauce and sweetened whipped cream. I was able to get 16 waffles from this recipe in my waffle iron.
- 1 1/2 lbs. strawberries, diced
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 1/2 tsp almond extract **
- In a large sauce pan, combine the strawberries, sugar, and extract. Bring to a simmer over medium heat. Simmer for 1 minute and remove from heat.
- Allow the mixture to cool for a few minutes so it is just warm. Place 1 1/2 cups of the mixture from the sauce pan in a blender. This is where you need to be careful. Don’t put the lid on the top all the way. Leave it cracked or the steam from the strawberries could cause an explosion. If you have an immersion blender, feel free to use that and no chance of an explosion. Blend until smooth and stir back into the remaining strawberry mixture in the pan. Serve warm over the Strawberry Cream Cheese Waffles