CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Monday, April 25, 2011

Veggie Quesadillas

After loads and eons of junk food and candy yesterday (hello Easter Bunny), I feel confident in saying that I am GLAD to be back on a regular eating schedule again.  ("Easter" seemed to last the whole weekend with one of my best friends getting married on Saturday- Saturday's wedding and Sunday's Easter celebration were just full of free treats and gimmes)

And boy is this recipe perfect for a sugar OD (overdose) reversal.  Because it's full of veggies and healthy goodness.

These veggie quesadillas are really, really good.  I promise you that you will not even notice that there is no meat in them.
Speaking of meat, I have recently decided that I want to eat far less meat in my diet.  

I am a student at ASU studying nutrition and we recently learned all the details about how we get meat/poultry.  I have always been a meat lover but since that class, I honestly can say that I do not look at meat in the same way.  The few days following last week's lecture, I have found meat to almost appall me- it didn't even TASTE good.  Now, I'm sure that this is probably just a phase that I will outgrow.  However, the following day I read a post on The Healthy Apron called "Meat-Less May."  I was really intrigued to learn that a lot of people are going to try eating vegetarian either partially or completely for the month of May.

Do I dare say I might do it??  I am very curious at how hard it will be.  Will my body will start to crave meat or will I accustom to a meat-less diet?  And how will my body feel?  I know that if vegetarians do not cleverly plan their diets, they can be at risk for low protein and iron intakes.  I will definitely have to get my protein and iron from other  foods like milk and nuts and iron-supplemented cereal.  


I am very interested in this meat-less May idea and am going to do it!  Do you dare try it as well?

Start with this Veggie Quesadilla recipe and you'll find that meat-less cooking is: a) inexpensive, b) delicious, and c) healthy!

Veggie Quesadillas
from Favorite Family Recipes

1 c. frozen corn
1 c. grated zucchini (juices squeezed out)
1/2 bunch cilantro, chopped
2 Tbsp. diced jalapeno (or more if you like it hot)
1 can black beans, drained and rinsed
1/2 tsp. salt
1/4 tsp. pepper
1-2 tsp. chili powder
1/2 tsp. cumin
2 c. Monterey Jack cheese (or cheddar or Mexican blend), shredded
flour tortillas (I recommend whole-wheat tortillas)

In a large bowl, combine all ingredients except for the cheese (and tortillas of course). Place mixture in a large skillet and fry until hot. In the meantime, heat a medium-sized skillet over medium heat. Place a tortilla in the pan. On half of the tortilla add a few large scoops of the corn/bean mixture and a little cheese. Fold tortilla over, then flip sides. When cheese is melted, cut in half and serve!

0 nibbles:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...